Originating in 1974, the FISH program was organized at Nativity Lutheran Church to provide emergency services for local residents. Clothing, household items and furniture were stored in a barn provided by Larry Looman, a local farmer.
In 1983, a food pantry was also established at Nativity in a closet and later moved to a garage in the rear of the church. The pantry first served 17 needy families and has now added over 1,000 households from the area.
In 1985, FISH of East Aurora, Inc. was incorporated as a non-profit, interdenominational organization to pray and work together for Jesus Christ and His church. It is a volunteer Christian service group dedicated to showing love and concern for those in need in the towns of Aurora, Elma, Marilla, Holland and Wales. A Board of Directors oversees the operation with more than sixty volunteers from area churches providing services.
In 1987, the Harry Looman Memorial Building was constructed by FISH with a gift in memory of Harry’s kindness and love. This 1500 sq./ft. facility serves as the distribution center for clothing, household items and foods pantry.
In 1994, a 2400 sq./ft. addition was constructed with a community development grant from the Town of Aurora. Our goal to expand outreach services through advocacy and other social ministry has been advanced as we work in Christian unity to glorify God by serving His children in love.