A FULL COPY OF THE LATEST NEWSLETTER (SPRING 2019) CAN BE OBTAINED BY CONTACTING THE FISH OFFICE AT 716-652-7272
Letter from Judy Lamb’s (Executive Director – FISH of East Aurora, Inc.) –
“Many thanks to all of our church partners for their monthly collections of food, Lenten collections, ‘Souper Sunday’ collections, as well as monetary donations from: Church of the Annunciation, Baker Memorial United Methodist, East Aurora Christian, Elma United Methodist, First Baptist of East Aurora, First Presbyterian, First Spiritual Temple, Holland United Methodist, Faith Lutheran, Nativity Lutheran, South Wales Presbyterian, St. John’s Lutheran, St. Matthias Episcopal, St. Nicodemus Lutheran, Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic and St. Paul’s Lutheran. Thanks to all of the church congregations who gave so generously. In the last six months, 13,946 lbs. of food have been donated by our community.”
Interesting & Informative Extracts:
- APRIL IS NATIONAL VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION MONTH – We want to say thanks to our 72 wonderful, extraordinary and dedicated FISH volunteers for their help in making FISH run so smoothly. Some of our volunteers have been here for 30+ years! We celebrate the impact volunteers make in our community.
- INTERESTING FACTS FROM OUR FOOD PANTRY – The FISH food pantry uses a client-choice model in which clients are allowed the freedom to select their own groceries thus eliminating waste. FISH also has two new programs for our families: Senior Nutrition Plus and Food Sample Initiative programs. We try to meet the immediate needs of hunger and address food insecurity, especially for seniors, with an extra protein bag of food. The Food Sample Initiative helps provide samples and recipes with food we receive from the WNY Food Bank.
- CLOTHING DISTRIBUTION – FISH is now accepting gently used spring and summer clothing. We also accept gently used linens (towels, sheets, blankets and comforters) and small household items. For all other donations, we can make a referral. We do not accept furniture, computers, TVs, baby cribs or other baby items, used toys and stuffed animals or garage sales items.
- GARDENS – If you have extra vegetables in your garden this summer, FISH will gladly accept the produce. All you have to do is rinse your donation and we will make sure it helps a local family.
- FOOD STATISTICS – In October, November and December 2018, over 14,000 lbs. of food was distributed with a value exceeding $19,000. This does not include bread and baked goods regularly donated by TOPS and Elm Street Bakery.
- CANS 2 CASH – Please remember you can donate the proceeds from your cans and bottles to FISH at CANS 2 CASH, 5710 Seneca Street, Elma NY.
- EASTER FOOD DISTRIBUTION – Specific food items needed most for our distributions for Easter include small hams, tuna, hash, canned hams, stew, ravioli, rice-a-roni, juice, canned beans, cake or brownie mix. Easter Distributions will take place on Tuesday, April 16th 1-3pm for small families and Thursday, April 18th 1-3pm for large families.
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LETTER CARRIERS’ “STAMP OUT HUNGER” FOOD DRIVE – Letter carriers across the country will collect non-perishable food donations placed near residents’ mailboxes as they deliver mail along their postal routes. It is one of FISH’s largest and most important food drives. The 2019 FOOD DRIVE will take place on Saturday, May 11th.
- 2ND ANNUAL “SOUP AND BREAD HUNGER AWARENESS” FUNDRAISER – Save the date!!! Saturday, September 21, 2019